What a golden summer it was.
1996 and the sound of drum and bass was kicking out from streets and clubs all over the place, including Nation in Liverpool, home of legendary superclub Cream…not the first place you might expect LTJ Bukem and crew to rock up, but that summer the surge of d&b across people’s consciousness could not be escaped.
Cream gave them a residency in the club’s Courtyard room and PFM’s The Western featured on their excellent 1996 Cream Live 2 compilation mixed by Nick warren alongside James Lavelle and fellow resident Paul Oakenfold. Paul also got LTJ Bukem on board for a remix of Grace’s ‘If I Could Fly, dishing out what I regard to be one the most unsung classics of the time, which you can catch the start of right at the end of this set.
At the time I had fallen under the spell of Progressive and Epic House with DJs such as Sasha & Digweed, Dave Seaman, Nick Warren & Paul Van Dyk blasting out of my tinny (and tiny) MkI Golf windows / rust holes. I also started to seek out the back catalogue of Good Looking & Looking Good Records with life changing results. This mix was a milestone on that discovery and so I’m pleased to present it again 17 years later, courtesy of LTJ Bukem’s Mixcloud page.
LTJ Bukem & MC DRS
Essential Mix Live @ Cream, BBC Radio 1
Nation Nightclub, Liverpool, UK
Saturday, 25th August 1996
01. Aquarius And Tayla – Soul Searching (Good Looking)
02. Appaloosa – Night Train (Good Looking)
03. Q Project – Solar System (P.F.M. Remix) (white label)
04. PHD – Above and Beyond (Good Looking)
05. St. Etienne – Down By The Sea (P.F.M. Remix) (white label)
06. Seba & Lotech – Universal Music (Looking Good)
07. LTJ Bukem – Music (Peshay Rework) (Looking Good)
08. Elysian Fields – Shogun (Looking Good)
09. Grace – If I Could Fly Away (LTJ Bukem’s Roll It Mix) (Perfecto)